The raw material “paja toquilla” that is used for the manufacture of toquilla straw hats comes from a palm tree (carludovica palmata) that grows in the Peruvian jungle, especially in the province of Rioja, in smaller amount in the Piurana mountain range, in San Miguel del Faique, this plant grows between 1.5 and 2 meters, and after 3 years it is ready to harvest its leaves.
The fineness of the hat is measured by the thickness of the strand, the greater the finesse, the greater the work of elaboration and the greater its commercial value.
The price difference in the hats is given by the thickness of the strand of straw, while the strand of straw is thinner or thinner the hat will be of better quality, this is complemented with the level of selection of the raw material and Product finishes. The hats that are made of fine fabrics, are made by expert craftsmen, who have a working time of 20 to 30 days, approximately per hat.
– It is a handmade product to show off in warm climates or in summer.
– It is ideal to use on the beach, at weddings, bullfights, Peruvian Paso horse events, with elegant clothes or casual clothes.
– The straw hat of Catacaos has been declared a cultural heritage of the nation, symbol of the identity of Peru.
– Wear a toquilla straw hat, it gives you an elegant and fresh style, expert in fashion assure this theory, nowadays it is combined with garments in the fashion shows.
– It is a handcrafted craft by Peruvian artisans, by acquiring a toquilla straw hat, helps to grow this tradition that has passed from generation to generation in the families of Narihuala, Pedregal and Catacaos.
– Remember that it is a handmade product therefore you can not use a washing machine or brush.
– Dry on a flat surface and under shade.
– In cases where it loses its shape, you can use a homemade iron to shape it again.
– Preferably use a hat hanger to always maintain its shape.
– In dry climates it is recommended to spray water to always keep the fiber hydrated and avoid dryness.
– In humid climates keep the hat in a ventilated place.
– In case of rain Do not use, you can lose shape.
The duration will depend on the care you have with the product, remember that not all straw hats can be rolled, you must take into account the type of fabric and the texture of the hat.
In cases of hats that can be rolled, it is recommended not to do so for more than 02 days, you may lose your form.
There are three different raw materials, three different natural plants, the commercial value of each varies, with Palma being the most valuable, followed by toquilla and reed.
A palm hat is more difficult to weave, like the scarf the quality depends on the thickness of the strand of straw, its duration is greater and its price is higher.
The rush is a thicker, more rustic raw material with a harder texture and lower value.
In the case of circumference or head size, they are referential measures, because these can be adjusted with the accessory that has around or contour of the hat (strap, ribbon, headband, etc), the most commercial sizes are 56, 58, 60 and 62 cm, in sizes S, M, L, XL respectively.
With respect to the size of the brim or skirt of the hat, it will depend on the model, ranging from 5 cm the shortest to 16 cm widest.